Blood Pressure Readings Explained
What is blood pressure?
When your heart beats, it is pumps blood round your human body to give it the energy & oxygen it needs. As the blood move, it pushes against the sides of the blood vessels. The strength of this pushing is your blood pressure. If your blood pressure is too high, it puts extra strain on your arteries (and your heart) and this may lead to heart attacks & strokes.
Blood pressure chart:
Use the blood pressure chart under the below to see what your blood pressure means. The blood pressure chart is apposite for adults of at all age. (The level for high blood pressure does not change with age.)
Blood pressure readings have two numbers, for example 140/90mmHg.
What blood pressure readings mean
As you see from the blood pressure chart, only one of the numbers has to be higher/lower than it should be to count as either high blood pressure or low blood pressure:
- 90 over 60 (90/60) or less: It is low blood pressure.
- More than 90 over 60 (90/60) & less than 120 over 80 (120/80): Your blood pressure reading is ideal & healthy.
- More than 120 over 80 & less than 140 over 90 (120/80-140/90): You have a normal blood pressure reading but it is a little higher than it should be, & you should try to lower it. Make healthy changes to your lifestyle.
- 140 over 90 (140/90) or higher (over a number of a week): You may have high blood pressure (hypertension). Change your lifestyle – see your doctor/ nurse & take any medicines they may give you.
- if your top number is 140 or more than- you may have high blood pressure, regardless of your bottom number.
- if your bottom number is 90 or more – you may have high blood pressure, regardless your top number.
- if your top number is 90 or less – you may have low blood pressure, regardless of your bottom number.
- if your bottom number is 60 or less – you may have low blood pressure, regardless of your top number.